Melanesian/Vasu I Taukei Development Fund
The Melanesian-Vasu-i-Taukei (MVT) development fund was created through Cabinet Decision No. 330 of 1998 with an initial allocation of $100,000. The 2011 Budget allocation is $114,000
The overall intent of MVT development fund is to enhance and empower the communities’ capacity to become self-reliant and independent in order to raise their living standards.
The fund is meant for members of the Melanesian (descendants of people from Solomon Island, Vanuatu & PNG), Part European and other minority communities excluding, Rotumans, Banabans and Kioa Islanders.
Criteria for Assistance
- Projects must be community based;
- Beneficiaries must be of MVT origin and that include the Melanesian, Community, Part European, Chinese, Tongans, Samoans and other minorities who are citizen of this country.
- Priority is given to the following projects:
- Housing (chainsaw); and
- Women & Youth Development
- Maximum of $10,000 funding is encouraged per project, but consideration could be given to projects up to $20,000 but with proper justification and availability of funds.
Information and Documents Required
Projects must be community based;
- Letter of request from the community
- Project paper
- Support letter from District Officer/Provincial Administrator
- Endorsement from Divisional Commissioner
- Three competitive quotations from different vendors
- Other important information that are relevant to the project
All submissions/requests to be addressed to:
Prime Minister’s Office
P O Box 2353